Sunday, August 14, 2011

CHAMPS!

I wrote my storm post early Sunday morning but couldn't get it to publish. So I'll add this to the front and push the storm stuff to the bottom.

Champs! We beat the home team twice tonight to win the Sunday league tournament. After a 1 and 6 start to the season I doubted our wisdom regarding entering a team in this league. But six straight wins to end the year- and the last two against the team Ron and I played with until this season- and a perfect tournament run certainly makes it look like a great call.

That was fun.

We have a good nucleus for next year. Most everyone will come back, and now that we've weeded out the non-ballplayers the start of the season should not be as ugly. I hope Brian plays, though he seems doubtful. Defensively, he was definitely our most under-utilized player. Mulitiple times this year we played inferior players in spots where Brian would have helped us more, sometimes because we didn't know better and sometimes to ease egos.

I held up fine, although I landed on my bad knee fielding one ground ball and the pain was very similar to my previously mentioned (see post a couple of months ago) ground ball to the groin. I had a force out at third, but when I stood I realized I couldn't run those three steps without collapsing so I threw to 2nd instead.
________________________________________________________
Wow, that was quite a storm.

I have electricity, though it looks like there are only a couple dozen buildings in this little section of the neighborhood who are so lucky- at least as of 9 pm last night when I arrived home.

The high winds and torrential rain hit (suddenly! And I mean suddenly!) as I was in my car, waiting for the light to change at Bardstown Rd/Taylorsville Rd.
At first I thought I'd been rear-ended, but then I realized my car would not continue to shake for so long if that were the case.
The only things visible more than 20 feet from my car were the sparks from transformers.
I was heading to a cook-out but as I crept up Taylorsville at 5 mph I intended to turn back onto my street and wait it out at home. However, even at 5 mph I missed my own street in the blinding rain.
Plan B, I turned into a little lot near Stein Automotive. A few seconds later I felt some thumps and scratching on the roof of my car(oh no, the Hook Man!) and turned to see a tree fall across the road, then realized my car was draped in power lines.
I drove out from under the lines and parked on the other side of the building, then waited a few minutes until the storm's intensity decreased.
Then, after several detours around the neighborhood, I found a clear path back to Taylorsville Rd and headed to the party. Just about every traffic light was out, trees and branches were down everywhere, and both lanes nearest the curbs looked like Beargrass Creek. Branches and garbage cans and other debris were riding the rapids down Taylorsville Rd.
After a slight delay caused by trees down all over the street I was heading to, we all arrived at our destination and ate ribs off the grill.
Good ribs, worth the odyssey.

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Nice post Champ!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

That was quite a storm. We had to wait for it to break a little before we could even see that the tree in front of our house stretched from one side of the street to the other.