Tuesday, August 16, 2011

One Last Health Update

I don't intend to bring this up much again, mostly because the synopsis seems to be that my knee is always going to hurt and there isn't much I can do about it. However, since I've brought it up recently I might as well provide all the info.

Options for my knee are severely limited, at least until I need knee replacement. I have very bad arthritis, the bone is nearly exposed, and I can pretty much just take anti-inflammatories, infrequent cortisone shots, and do some exercises.

I still don't really understand why it started hurting so badly so quickly. I've had pain in that knee for a long time, off and on, but it's been generally milder pain, nothing as severe or as consistent as I currently have. Apparently it can just flare up like that very quickly, but it still surprises me.

If I'd paid more attention to all Dad's grimaces of pain over the years it wouldn't have been so surprising.

Today my doctor asked if the current anti-inflammatory was helping. The knee was still swollen, so there was no obvious improvement. I said "well honestly, I've played 7 softball games and a round of golf in the 12 days since my last visit, so I really have no idea. I think it might be helping, because it hasn't gotten any worse."

She seemed fine with that answer. Good for her.
____________________________________________________
I plan on spending Tuesday night at St. Martha to watch the end of the cornhole tournament. All 4 Yogis teams are still in it. I'm pulling for Sam and Chris, who finished in 2nd place. If they win out through the rest of the tournament they'll finish the year with 1 loss- which came on the night I subbed against them. That would be pretty cool.
____________________________________________________
Oh yeah, one more thing since I mentioned the round of golf. Round 5 on the year was an 89 at Glenmary Saturday. First round under 90 in 4 years. 48-41, and I screwed up a bit the last two holes to shoot the 41. Very encouraging.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

If you're pulling for Sam & Chris, so am I, just like I always want UK to win, because you all pull for them, but I really don't care. And that knee problem gets blamed on the "Tabler" side of the family, for sure. Gosh, you seem young for that, though.