Thursday, June 16, 2011

I played 3 innings tonight and benched myself to get playing time for someone else. Too much of that this year. I keep saying it's going to stop, because I want (and deserve) to be in the lineup, but I keep doing it. I also batted leadoff. We've not hit at all, needed to shake things up, and so when Chris suggested it I said sure. I walked to start the game, then lined out. So, good enough. And I played good defense.

But we were down 12-3 after 5 and a half innings(all 3 of our runs in my leadoff first inning, thank you) and I had removed myself from the game. I was coaching 3rd, we were lifeless and seemed destined for defeat. I shouted everything I'm supposed to- encouragement, instruction, etc., and acted like we were in the game, but we really weren't, I thought. Then we got a few hits, I waved a few runners around, held a few, and after the inning I glanced at the scoreboard and it was 12-9. Not so bad.
Then we scored 3 in the 7th- timely hitting, an error, and some smart, agressive baserunning, and it was 12-12, but we left the winning run on 3rd.
They again didn't score in the 8th, and we won it with a couple of huge hits.
It was nice. We needed a couple of innings like that. Snuck up on me, though. We started hitting great just when I least expected it.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Good work, man.

Bad Bob said...

Yep, good work, man. Maybe you're destined to be a coach?