Sunday, May 15, 2011


My relationship with Facebook is love/hate, with most of the emphasis on hate. It can be pretty cool sometimes, but it comes with a lot of baggage.

I share only a very limited amount of my personal information on the site. It just doesn't seem safe at all. And now I think I have proof that Facebook gathers, receives, and shares
plenty of my personal information. Not that I really needed proof, since it's not really a secret, but still.

Anyway, here's the deal. The little spot on the side of the page that shows friend suggestions keeps offering Lena as a possible friend. I thought this was usually a result of having mutual 'friends.' But I ran through her list of Facebook friends and we don't appear to have a single Facebook friend in common.
So why the friend suggestion? I have to believe the only possible reason is all of our shared mutual history- addresses, credit info, names on bills, etc. None of that info is on Facebook, but I have to believe it's been assimilated somewhere and somehow for Facebook to use.
There is only one logical explanation: the Facebook corporate devils are planning to take over the world. Thus, I must enter virtual Facebook and defeat my profile at a game of Yahtzee.
(that's a South Park reference, so if you haven't seen the episode don't strain yourself trying to figure out the nonsense.)

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

as always, beware of anything you put on line......it's available to anyone.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Very interesting blog, Kevin.