Saturday, July 3, 2010

"Richard III" in Central Park was quite good. Most of the performance was relatively ordinary- solid, but nothing special, but it had what I wanted; the actor who portrayed Richard was entertainingly villainous.

I missed the last few minutes. They now have a liquor stand, thus the large cup of tasty Shakes Beer I bought near intermission led to desperate need of a bathroom right before the big fight scene. I couldn't wait any longer (My kingdom for a toilet!)so I'm really not sure how it ended. I'm betting Richard finally won the battle this time, though, because the guy playing Richmond was tiny.

Also, I'd forgotten the play had so many roles for children. Not large roles- most of them meet quick, gruesome off-stage ends, but still, there are a few kids. Every time I see kids in a show like that I end up wondering how many of the 3-hour performances parents sit through to see their kids on stage for 3 minutes.
One side of a phone conversation:
"I can't make the poker game tonight, Hal. Yeah, my kid's getting murdered again.
What? Only about 3 lines.
Right after intermission. Yeah.
Not sure, really. Beheading, maybe? It happens off-stage.
No, I don't guess so...hold on, let me ask-
HONEY? CAN I LEAVE AND GO PLAY POKER AFTER HE GETS KILLED?
She said no. I have to watch the whole thing.
Yeah, maybe next week."

___________________________________________
In other news...


My new retirement plan: I read that 41% of Americans believe Jesus will return by 2050. I think I'm willing to take that wager. I just need to find a few thousand people willing to bet me, and when I collect I should be able to double my savings just when I really need it.
And here's the best part. On the off chance I lose, most of the people to whom I would owe money will probably vanish via Rapture before I have to pay up.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Love the Richard III in Central Park blog - funny.