Friday, January 1, 2010

1st of the New Year, So First of What I Intend To Be A Regular Feature: "Something I Learned Today"

For a guy who thinks he knows everything, there sure are a lot of things I don't know.

Tonight, for instance, I watched the coin toss at the start of the Sugar Bowl and the big celebrity who tossed the coin was was Dennis Haysbert. I recognized him as the spokesman on the All State commercials and as the U.S. president on the series "24," but when the announcers mentioned the movie "Major League" I realized he played Pedro Cerrano.

How did I not realize that before?

"Jesus, I like him very much. But he no help with curve ball."

Thus ends installment #1 of "Something I Learned Today"
__________________________________________________________
Something I do know: I'm sick and tired of hearing football announcers second-guess personal foul penalties. I've lost track of the number of times I've heard them say, after seeing some relatively mild pushing or shoving on the field, "I don't know about that one. I think maybe the official should have let that one go."

How do they know? How do they know what was said? Maybe nobody threw a punch, but I believe officials are quite justified to throw flags as a result of dialogue between the players, not just physical contact.

2 comments:

Mark said...

"That's Allstate, Stan."

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Yaaay...looking forward to your regular feature.