Sunday, December 27, 2009

Drat

The game went about like I figured, but I really hoped Coach Brooks could finish with a win since I think this was his last game.
Instead all the streaks ended: the bowl winning streak, the non-conference winning streak, and most importantly, my perfect point spread record picking Wildcats games this season.

I think this loss proved me right in my analysis of UK's lousy passing game. I've been defending the play-calling all year against fans who are frustrated because of the lack of down-field passing.
These fans insisted Kentucky needs to 'open it up' more. I think the coaches would like to do so, but the offensive line can't hold blocks long at all, the quarterbacks are very shaky, and the receivers are even worse.
Tonight the QB played well, finally (or well by my lowered standards), scrambled and bought tons of time even with a bad line- but the receivers still could not get open and then could not catch passes in the rare instances when they did shake free.

Oh well. I think UK's in pretty good shape for next season, all things considered. And Newton did look like a very, very good freshman QB tonight.

Randall Cobb is a great player, but I'm baffled every time announcers call him a great receiver. He drops more balls than he catches. I'm not that worried about it because he's still a very inexperienced receiver since he was a qb in high school and he spends so much practice time doing other things. He has good hands but not yet good habits.
_______________________________________________________________
And I'm 7-3 on my bowl pick'em so far. Not great, but not awful, and most of my high point games are not until week.

No comments: