Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sports, Television, Books

*I read that the SEC suspended an officiating crew because of poor performance. It's the crew that stunk up both the LSU/Georgia game and the Florida/Arkansas game. The refs will not get another assignment until November 14. Does anyone doubt they'll draw the UK/Vandy game?

*I believe the last three episodes of "The Office" are just about the funniest shows I have ever seen.

*My last trip to Half-Price Books I bought two novels by authors I'd never read. Both were selected via perusal of back-cover blurbs- which is not a method I usually use.
It worked out okay. "The Hot Kid" by Elmore Leonard was pretty good. Not fantastic, but I enjoyed it.
The other was Richard K. Morgan's "Altered Carbon." Eh, it was okay, I guess, but not my cup of tea.

*"The Bourne Identity" was a very enjoyable read. I was pleasantly surprised. The plot varied quite a lot from the movie. I was not previously aware that the novel was 35 years old. That alone was enough to make the plot very different; pay phones, hand-writing recognition as a security method, and references to green text on computer screens all made for a very different spy world than the one inhabited by 21st century Bourne.

*I finally bought "The Wordy Shipmates."
Yes, Mom, you'll get it as soon as I finish it.