Thursday, October 1, 2009

MLB Records

Baseball fans love discussing statistics and records. I've heard lots of discussions about which records are least likely to be broken.

Most commonly mentioned are Cy Young's 511 wins, Dimaggio's hitting streak, Aaron's home run record (now almost certain to fall fairly soon), and a .400 batting average (which isn't even a record, so I'm not sure why it comes up).

Here's one that never gets mentioned: Connie Mack's 7755 games managed. Tony LaRussa moved into second place on the all-time list today. Now if he just keeps going and doesn't miss a game (and if my math is right) he'll pass Mack- in May, 2028.

What a historic day that will be as LaRussa's Seoul Black Tigers (까만 호랑이 to the locals) take on the Caracas Turpials in an early season contest that could well determine the World Series favorite. I like LaRussa, but I'll be rooting for the Caracas squad to whom I remain faithful after they leave St. Louis in 2021.

No comments: