Friday, October 30, 2009

Bah Great Pumpkin?

What a rotten, rotten week. It's been a long time since I was this glad it's Friday.
And hey, there's an extra hour this weekend. Yay!

I can do without Halloween, though. Well, that's not true, exactly. I think it's a really neat holiday for kids, but I have never quite understood why anyone would like it other than for kids.

Interestingly, I find the effect of looking at Halloween photographs to be exactly opposite that of looking at Christmas photographs. Halloween party-goers are hot and itchy in their costumes, the parties are fairly lame and unfun, and it's just generally never too great. But the pictures are really neat and make everything appear much more enjoyable than it actually was.

Christmas pictures, on the other hand, are actually incredibly dull. They show mostly overfed, smiling people surrounded by shredded wrapping paper. They really don't reflect how pleasant the holiday is.

I wore my old man mask to work today (the same mask I've worn periodically since approximately the turn of the millennium) and some people wore cool costumes, but mostly it was just crappy costumes, crappier decorations, candy, and the 5th lousy day out of 5 for the work week.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Here are my SEC picks for the weekend. My picks are in bold lettering.

1) Ole Miss 3 1/2 Auburn
2) Florida 15 1/2 Georgia
3) Georgia Tech 11 1/2 Vanderbilt
4) LSU 35 1/2 Tulane
5) Tennessee 5 1/2 South Carolina
6) Arkansas 38 Eastern Michigan
7) Kentucky 3 1/2 Mississippi St.

I teetered back and forth on the UK game for a long time. I think there's a strong chance Kentucky will win but not cover the 3 1/2 point spread. I'm not overy worried about MSU's star running back- I think Kentucky can handle him reasonably well even if Micah Johnson is unavailable. But that running QB will probably cause headaches.
I also took LSU, but it makes me nervous giving Tulane more points than LSU has scored in a game all year.

2 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Are we sure you and Mark are brothers? Mark, for whom we used to hang a Halloween stocking, his favorite day of the year, Halloween? Should we check your alls DNA?

Mark said...

Dear Kevin,

You suck.

Love,
Mark