Thursday, September 10, 2009

Softball goes on and on and on and on...

We won tonight to move our fall record to 4-3. It was a big win against a very good team.
I'm getting a bit tired and I'm not minding the idea of the end of the softball season, and yet...

This week I agreed to
A) playing in a Wednesday night league. I'm not fully committed. I've advised the team to look for someone else, but if they still need an infielder I might be playing with them through October.
B) a tournament Saturday at Turners. Brian, if you read this tomorrow, my first game Saturday is scheduled for 12:15. I'm quite willing to help you move, but the only time I can guarantee my availability is from 7 am to about 11:30. I hope that works, but I'd imagine I'll also be available all day Sunday.
___________________________________________________
Non-softball
Two months ago I got a new neighbor. His 25 square-feet of porch now contains a dozen plants, a couple of small tables, and a bird feeder ( I took a picture but haven't downloaded (uploaded?) it yet). A few of the plants are of a type I don't recognize, but there are 3 or 4 pepper plants and 3 or 4 tomato plants. Over the last month or so one of the highlights of my day has become the flurry of small animal activity that accompanies my arrivals and departures.

When I leave for work early in the morning not much happens. The critters are still asleep, I guess. But in the afternoon and evenings when I leave my apartment, I witness a burst of a dozen birds or so scattering from the porch. Then, as I round the corner, I almost always see a squirrel or two rooting around. They notice me and then scram, frequently making a spectacular 18-foot leap from the balcony to the nearest small tree in the courtyard. It's pretty cool- especially because I'm always surprised, and the frantic activity always catches me off-guard.

Still, it's nice to know that if the squirrels ever get on my nerves I know just who to call. The legend of the Squirrel Terminator strikes fear in the hearts of every fuzzy-tailed rat in the I-65 to I-64 corridor.

1 comment:

Bad Bob said...

In the squirrel removal business I'm know as "The Heavy Hitter".