Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Softball Lowlights, and maybe I can scrape up a Highlight

Our Tuesday night dynasty stumbled. Our 16-0 regular season team now sits at 0-1 in the tournament and in the loser's bracket. To make it worse, we had to sit 3 hours waiting to play again before they called it a night because it was too late to start another game, and now we have to play at 9:15 Thursday.

If it wasn't our worst game of the year it was close. We led 6-2 after 2 innings and lost 9-8. No hitting at all. Awful.

At least it feels good to be such a big win for the other team. They celebrated like they'd won the whole tournament already, their sponsor was paying for their beer, and they were overheard talking about how great it was 'to beat those old guys.'

I was our third oldest player. And #4 is 4 years younger than me. So I did some quick calculations this evening and determined the average age of our lineup, and it's only 31. 5 years ago- before most of our REAL old guys quit playing- our average age was about 40.

I guess they had a point, though, because I was thinking "I can't believe we let these kids beat us."

Okay, here is the only highlight. It was pretty neat. We turned a triple play.

I don't think I've ever been involved in a triple play before. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Here is how it happened:
They had runners on first and second and hit a hard shot up the middle. Our shortstop dove, knocked it down, and flipped to the 2nd baseman, who turned a double play. The runner on 2nd actually dove back in to the bag because at first he thought the batted ball was caught for an out- then he ran on to third, where I tagged him out on a throw by the first baseman. Nifty.

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Wow! A triple play! I'm impressed.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

A three hour wait..good heavens..that's quite a wait. Interesting evening.