Sunday, August 16, 2009

Best Weekend of the Summer

Unfortunately, I don't usually notice things like this. I should probably pay more attention to when I'm having a good time because I would probably appreciate things more.

But for once I noticed. I had a terrific weekend. Easily the best of the summer, and I feel I've had a pretty good summer so it had some competition.

It started slowly but pleasantly. I was worn out Friday and had no intention of doing anything at all, and that's what I did. I fixed a good dinner, then read a good book for about 2 or 3 hours and went to bed fairly early. It was nice.

The first half of my Saturday was spent cleaning up a little and doing a little necessary shopping, and when I was done I felt a nice sense of accomplishment for a minimal amount of effort. That was nice, too.

I missed seeing Mom and Kim, but Saturday dinner with Dad, Mark, and the girls was completely pleasant. And then I went to Ron's Saturday night to swim and hang out with his family and Jim's family and we had a very good time (Though I should have eased back on my storytelling a little. Lauren Meyer was a little leery of jumping back in the pool after I told her about the sharks hiding under the rafts).

I lazed around a big chunk of Sunday, which is always wonderful. Then I really enjoyed Erin's birthday party (FIVE! You've got to be kidding me. If I didn't see how tall she was getting I'd swear she was just born a year ago).

Tonight was capped off by a terrific, tournament-winning softball game. We trailed 12-0 before we batted in the first inning but won 18-17 in the bottom of the 7th. Great game, and I played fine. I was 3 for 3 with a walk, and all three hits were with 2 outs and drove in runs. So I was quite pleased with myself.

And it's almost midnight but I've already arranged an 8:00-4:30 work schedule this week rather than 7:00-3:30, so again I'm quite pleased with myself.

I love good weekends. From now on, I'm going to make a point of noticing when I have one.

2 comments:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

That ball game sounds like one you all should have charged admission to. Wish I'd have seen that one. And don't tell stories like that to Erin and Jill - I think Erin was concerned Saturday night when The Chicken got carried off the field on a stretcher. (carried by David Garvey, by the way)

Ron said...

I am very honored to have been at least a small part of this best weekend of the summer.