Saturday, November 8, 2008

It happens every autumn

Nice try, Cats. That was the second-most entertaining game I've seen all year, behind only the Texas Tech vs. Texas game last week.

Kentucky's football team has improved greatly, but they still manage 1 absolute heartbreaker every season.

Last year it was the 52-50 overtime Tennessee loss.
'06 was Tennessee, too. 17-12. Nice delay of game, Cats. I'm still bitter.
'05, 31-24 to Louisville. Fumble at the goal line.
'04, 37-31, yet again to Tennessee.
'03, 71-63 to Arkansas. At least I think that's a final score. They might still be playing.
'02, the Wildcats learned they should keep the Gatorade in the bucket until the final horn.
And on and on.
Today's loss definitely qualifies for the list.


My guess is Kentucky will end up playing New Year's Eve in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Or maybe there will be another tornado and they'll play in a New Year's Day bowl after all, after the game is delayed a day and moved to Lakeside High School's field. (By the way, not every blogger cares enough about quality to look up the name of an actual Atlanta school.)


10:45 addition- I only went back as far as that disgusting 2002 LSU game when I originally posted this. After a while I became curious, so I decided to check a few more years to see if there continued to be one really gut-wrenching loss each year. I decided to check 5 more seasons:
2001- Tennessee 38-35. Kentucky led 21-0.
2000- Georgia 34-30. Kentucky led 20-10 in the 3rd quarter.
1999- Syracuse 20-13, Music City Bowl. Kentucky led 13-7 in the 4th quarter.
1998- Georgia 28-26. Potential game-winning field goal blocked in the closing seconds.
1997- Hey, I found a year without one. They lost fairly close games to Mississippi State and South Carolina, but neither really qualifies.

No comments: