Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Grammar

When I wrote, "a billion pounds of sugar are being consumed," I had difficulty deciding whether the correct verb was 'are' or 'is.'

Are 'pounds' being consumed?
Is 'sugar' being consumed?

I also considered just typing "We are eating a lot of sugar," because I was sitting in my recliner with a computer in my lap, and my trusty Strunk and White volume was way over on the bookshelf.

Which helps explain how I happened upon the following. Here is the address to find The Elements of Style. Sorry it's not a live link. I still have not figured out which of my security settings is blocking my ability to post a link.

http://www.bartleby.com/141/

I now have all the answers just a click or two away, and yet my poor grammatical decisions will undoubtedly continue. I can live with that, for I am lazy. I will continue to use too many commas and too many passive verbs. I will also still begin sentences with 'and,' 'but,' and 'so.'

But I'll know it's wrong. And that's the important thing.