Wednesday, October 29, 2008

football post/ travel guide


Saturday's college football game of the week is between Texas and Texas Tech.
Ah, Lubbock in the fall! The biting wind, the blinding dust that gets in your nose, your teeth, your ears. It's lovely.

I got the picture off a post at everydayshouldbesaturday.com. The post included this helpful tip for Longhorn fans traveling to the game:
If you want to buy beer, you’ll need to drive south of town to what is affectionately known as “the Strip” (Hwy 87 and 98th St.), a row of drive-thru liquor stores festooned with a veritable cornucopia of superfluous Vegas-style luminescence. You simply hand the attendant your cooler and a credit card and it comes back full of ice and your beverage of choice.


Perfectly true. Also accurate is this, posted in the comments section:

I’ve only been to Lubbock once, in April about 7 years ago, and it was just like that picture. I thought I was on the set for Mission to Mars. But what really freaked me out was when it started raining in the middle of that sandstorm and the rain picked up the dust, so it started raining mud. I’m driving in a white rental and all I see is big fat red muddy raindrops falling on my car.


I would add, however, that it doesn't actually rain too often. That's a good thing, since there aren't any storm drains on the roads. A downpour lasting over 20 minutes usually causes some substantial flooding.

No comments: