Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Here's the softball post...

The Yogis won by a bunch of runs tonight, even with three starters on the bench.

We're nearing the end of the St. Martha leagues' seasons, and I assumed we were getting some playing time for lesser talents in advance of the league tournaments.

Assuming that, and knowing I'd played regularly all year, I thought I'd probably sit tomorrow night. I also knew that I have a training class at work tomorrow, and that I don't have to be there until an hour and a half later than normally.

These two 'facts' in mind, I stayed at the ball field until 11:00, with the firm assumption that I didn't have to be at my best tomorrow.

Then I found out that the reason those guys sat tonight was that we were locked into 2nd place on Tuesday regardless of tonight's result. On Wednesdays, however, if we win tomorrow and next week then we win the regular season. But if we lose a game we can fall as far as 4th place. So there's a fair amount riding on the results.

I feel a little like Mickey Mantle, partying long into the night in between World Series games, except for a few small differences- such as the fact that he was a talented athlete and I'm me, he drank all night and still performed well whereas I had a couple of beers and will feel like shit tomorrow, and he scored hot celebrity chicks and I'm watching Letterman.

Other than that, we're exactly alike.

No comments: