Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Proud to be difficult...

In the past I have at times taken issue with the phrase "Proud to be an American," or at least with usage. I suppose I've been thinking about it again because of Michelle Obama's comment, and the responses from the candidates, their spouses, and others.

I don't claim to be "proud to be an American." I'm grateful to be an American. I'm happy to be an American. I'm relieved to be an American rather than a 3rd world denizen. But I'm not proud, because I was BORN an American. I didn't do anything to earn it. It's the same reason I'm not proud to be 6 feet tall, or to have brown hair.

Naturalized citizens who worked hard to gain this status should be proud. If you're born a citizen, then "proud to be an American" seems like you're taking a lot of credit for something you didn't do.

Plus, I don't like the blanket assumption of approval I would be giving. This is a nation of 300 million people and 3 and a half million square miles. I can't just say I'm proud of all of it and be done with it.

There are things I'm proud of and things I'm not.

I am very, very glad I'm an American, and I hope I do my part to make this a good place and to make the American culture one of which we can all be proud. But I can't take credit for all or even most of it, so I can't pride myself on it.

1 comment:

Brian said...

"I'm not proud of the immediate area surrounding yo' face!....Count it!" But seriously, looking at the definition of "proud" in the dictionary...I think someone could be proud to be an American and still take issue with several of its attributes. You don't have to earn it to be proud. But then again, guys like Toby Keith are just idiots.