Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Home now, and watching Wave 3 to catch up on storm damage and stuff. But tonight was weird.

We have a good start on a bad loss, down 10-1 in the 4th inning. The first time the sirens went off the umpires did nothing. We stayed on the field. Stupid. I asked the home plate umpire why we were still playing. No good answer.
I didn't really mind. The weather looked nasty, but it looked nastiest in the direction of my home, so I didn't really plan on leaving anyway.
Finally, when the sirens sounded again, they stopped play. I stayed, still because the weather looked nastier at home than it did at the ballfield, and also I live on the 2nd floor and have no basement. I figured I might as well eat a fish sandwich and drink a beer.
Mom and Dad left, and drove straight into the reported tornado path. Good for you, folks! I'm glad you arrived home safely but I'm disappointed you don't have a sensational youtube video to post.

A good crowd of us stayed and watched the clouds gathering and swirling off in the direction of Churchill Downs, which apparently had some definite damage. Many left, but those who remained constantly discussed where it was and what it looked like, and we all have lived here long enough that we could all watch the sky and make very good guesses at where the worst of it was, and was going to be. Those of us who remained at the ballpark all lived in what we thought was the storm path, and we all decided we were safer staying out in the open elsewhere. Not particularly safe, but safer.
So we played cornhole.
It really was incredibly nasty looking. I don't believe I've ever seen a nastier looking sky. The sirens sounded about six different times. Only six or seven of us waited out the worst looking bits of the storm, but I think we all made the right decision. Nobody stayed just for the heck of it- we followed weather reports and watched the sky and all felt safer where we were than where we were going.
Looking out toward the west we could see all the storm clouds gathering together. I've never seen anything quite like that. One small section of the sky just seemed to be sucking up the clouds from every other area and we could see it swirling together. Our best consensus guess was around U of L's campus, so if it was Churchill Downs we weren't far off.
Plus, for me at least, it wasn't exactly a vague, take-a-guess sort of situation. At one point I was trying to decide whether to leave or not and I heard "tornado heading toward Bowman Field." The ballpark is only a couple of miles from there, but as my home is only a couple of hundred yards from there, staying put seemed smarter.

But I'm home now. And my home is not scattered from here to St. Matthews, there is no damage in the area, so everything is fine. I'll be curious to see how much damage is around the county in the morning.

3 comments:

Bad Bob said...

We were listening to the radio and watching the sky on the way home. Yep, we were driving right into the storm, but watching and listening to reports, I was sure the areas we were heading for were behind where the tornados had already passed. We were almost home when your mother wanted to drive east to see if we could see anything. Be a stormchaser? No Thanks!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Guess I'll now do a quick blog about our evening at the ballpark.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...close to Churchill Downs...thanks for worrying about me! Where have you been? You need to call!