Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rather than wait until the last minute...

I'll let you know early. After running over 27 million race simulations on my computer program ( that was a lie), crunching all the numbers ( a few of the numbers, and not really understanding them), doing hours of painstaking research (actually, just browsing Bloodhorse.com a couple of times to see what Steve Haskins thought), and consulting countless experts (I asked a guy at work "Who do you like?"), I am prepared to reveal the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner.


and the winner is... "Stay Thirsty, my friends"

Why? Couple of reasons.
First, I do like the way he runs. I've watched all the Derby preps on youtube and Stay Thirsty seems to be able to shift gears pretty well and really turn on the speed. I like that in a crowded Derby field, and of the several horses who I think can do it he is likely to have the best odds.
Second, and most important, by selecting Stay Thirsty I could make a reference to the Dos Equis guy, otherwise known as The Most Interesting Man in the World. "Sharks have a week devoted to him." Also, "he can speak French, in Russian."

There are several other horses I like. Archarcharch, Mucho Macho Man, Midnight Interlude, and Pants On Fire, and probably about five more. In fact, I almost went with Mucho Macho Man, and if the name I keep mistakenly calling him- Super Macho Man- were in fact his correct name, I might have selected him instead so I could have used this Punchout picture.



Speaking of names, I was looking at the Oaks draw and thinking I really didn't like the name St. Johns River. A few minutes later I realized it was because St. John Rivers is the name of the dull and (to me) very unlikeable missionary cousin of Jane Eyre. Then, a few minutes after that, I realized that having favorite and least favorite characters in Jane eyre probably means I'm a nerd. Oh well.
__________________________________________
Favorite? Rochester, of course. Though that creepy Grace Pool rocks, too.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

You are wrong, wrong, wrong, my son. It's Mucho Macho Man.