Sunday, March 27, 2011

Various Unimportant Things

Last weekend Ron had us over to grill and play some cornhole.
When I arrived he and Jim were standing by the grill. Jim was munching on a bag of carrots and sharing them with Ron. I deposited my cooler and joined them, and accepted a carrot, too, when it was offered. We talked, ate carrots, talked some more... and suddenly I thought, and said aloud "Hey, didn't these carrots used to be beers? When did we grow so tame that we actually stand around a grill munching carrots?"
But they were good carrots.
_____________________________________
There should be a law against having to clear snow off the car in late March.
_____________________________________
Early this afternoon and again tonight I was cleaning up a little bit. I threw out some things, too. It started small- old magazines, a couple of boxes I decided I didn't need to hold on to. Then old phone books- turns out I had 9 old phone books. Amazing. Then an old comforter that I haven't used for a couple of years and finally decided was not quite good enough to keep. Then a very old sweatshirt, a very old pair of tennis shoes, a whole armful of ratty tee shirts and shorts. Then a couple more boxes. Then the sheets and pillow cases right off my bed, as I had decided when I put them on the bed last week that they were on their last cycle and not to be washed again.
As I tossed the sheets I noticed the dumpster had really filled up with all my waste. How had I managed to accumulate all that crap? I haven't even lived here that all that long.

But tonight I'm sleeping on brand new sheets. Always a good feeling. Like being in a nice hotel, except without all the disgusting invisible stuff.
_____________________________________
A basketball officiating call I've never understood: Why is a foul on an alley-oop dunk attempt called a shooting foul? Why is it two shots? If the offensive player is fouled before he's even got the ball in his hands, how can he possibly be 'in the act of shooting?'
_____________________________________

Early in the basketball season I really liked Kentucky's team. They were fun to watch and seemed like they'd become pretty good. Then from November to February they didn't seem to improve at all. They were hard to watch. I often turned off the television (or computer) and turned on the radio, since I wanted to follow the games but they were so ugly I couldn't bare to see them.
Then suddenly they got quite a bit better for about 4 or 5 games. Then suddenly they got a lot better than that. Baffling. But I love it. The whole team's playing great defense and they're taking turns being The Man on offense.
And Josh Harrellson has become my favorite UK player ever. He was already close, but now he's tops. It must be an every 15 year thing, because Kyle Macy was my favorite from the late 70's until Tony Delk arrived mid-90's, now Jorts has passed him up on my list.

No comments: