Friday, December 10, 2010

As it turns out, nothing is wrong.

There, now that I've completely ruined the suspense, here's the story:

I had a routine doctor's appointment Tuesday afternoon which included a routine contribution of various bodily fluids for subsequent testing.

Thursday night at bedtime I realized my telephone had been turned off all day. One missed voicemail message was a request to call my doctor's office.

Well, I thought, that sucks.
I knew very well they didn't want me to call because they wished to congratulate me on my excellent health. Something was wrong.

So I worried about it as I tried to go to sleep, and I started worrying about it again as soon as I woke up. Three hours later, when the doctor's office finally opened, I called to get the bad news, which was: just a mild vitamin D deficiency and I need to start taking a vitamin per day. No big deal.

And for the record, I didn't fret that much. I exaggerated to make the story more exciting. I was less worried about a severe problem than I was about the possibility I would need to go back and give another blood sample or something, thus requiring some schedule finagling at a time when I'm already working 11 and 12 hour days.

Vitamin D, though? I thought it a weird vitamin to lack, because exposure to sunlight pretty much took care of it. Then I realized how little time I've spent out-of-doors since softball season ended and figured that might be the cause. So perhaps the drastic cutback in golf has had some health consequences after all.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

So glad it was nothing serious. And sounds like a good reason to play a little more golf. Remember the sun screen.