Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ouch

I sliced my thumb while preparing my dinner. I refuse to elaborate on the exact cause of the wound, as anything I say may be used to convict me on grounds of stupidity. Of course, since I already admitted I did it to myself- no one jumped out at me with a knife- stupidity is the only possible conclusion anyway, but still...

It was pretty gory. A very small area on the surface, but definitely deeper than I would generally prefer.

brief interesting aside: I've noticed that injuries up to a certain level cause me to cuss, but once they pass that level I generally just say 'yow!' (rhymes with 'cow'), accompanied by a sharp intake of breath. I'd be interested to know exactly where the threshold is, but I don't care to experiment.

I ran some water over my thumb and was surprised and impressed by the volume and rapidity of blood loss. Then I went to the bathroom sink, under which I keep some bandages. I ran some more water on it, examined it again, ran some more water, examined it again, and kept repeating the process until I realized I just kept bleeding everywhere.

I suspected I might need more than a tiny bandage, so I went in search of my first aid kit. I believed it to be located on a bookshelf near the kitchen. It was, and I found it after shuffling some things around.

So I returned to the bathroom, first aid kit in hand. I fumbled around with it a little trying to open the two thumb latches with one thumb and one pinkie (awkward), rooted around and finally found some gauze and some sterile wipes.

Then I cleaned the thumb a little better and wrapped a little gauze around it. Then a couple of bandages to hold the gauze in place. Actually, the first two bandages I grabbed had to be thrown out, because I got so much blood on them before I even opened them that the little wrappers got soggy and I couldn't open them. But I eventually managed to extract two intact. Finally, my thumb was adequately dressed and all was quiet.
Then I looked around and realized there was blood in the sink, on the counter, in the bathtub, on a towel, soaking a washcloth, on the floor, and on the carpet. Following the blood trail backwards, I found blood drops on and around the bookshelf, the kitchen floor, the kitchen counter, and all the dirty dishes in the sink.
But the Italian sausage I was browning was okay, because during my first return in search of the first aid kit I remembered to turn the heat down.

And my minestroni was delicious!

4 comments:

Mark said...

Ouch, I hope you heal quickly! That made me cringe. It also wonderfully illustrates why it's so hard for murderers to hide or clean up DNA evidence after they've completed their work. And I'm glad your dinner was good. You didn't cut yourself while slicing up one of my tomatoes were you?

Mark said...

I mean, "..., did you?"

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Golly, where's EMS when you need them? It really IS hard to bandage your own hand, that's for sure. Heal quickly.

Kevin said...

I had already cut two of Mark's tomatoes and an onion. But carrots are apparently more dangerous than they look.