Saturday, April 17, 2010

Show Betting

To stick with today's Derby theme (two weeks!), I did some show betting today, just to see how it would work out.

I usually do okay betting horses. When I'm losing it's a sustainable amount that doesn't exceed the entertainment value I'm getting out of it, and sometimes I even win.

But Derby Day is the constant exception to the rule. I lose a lot every Derby. I lose because I bet every stinking race just because it seems like the thing to do that day.
The rest of the year I look at a few races every now and then, and if I find something I like I bet it. If I find nothing I like, I stay away. It works out much better. (makes me a better bettor. ha ha)
In fact, a couple of weeks ago I pulled up my on-line betting history for the last year. Factoring in my at-track bets, I'm about $200 ahead for the 12-month period.
But it would be $500 if it wasn't for the few days I bet almost every race on a track's card (Derby Day and trips to the track)- on those days I'm about $300 behind.

So I'm considering all show bets this Derby day to stay conservative and still have a rooting interest.
Thinking about that this morning, I decided to make a few show wagers today.

I came out slightly ahead, but I would have been slightly more ahead if they'd all been win wagers. Still, it seems like a decent way to minimize the danger and still have a rooting interest in every race Derby day.

Next time I go to the track I think I might even try to talk whoever I'm with into pooling a couple dollars each for a show parlay. It seems like it could be fun.

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

On Derby Day you can take Bookie Bob to the cleaners.