Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Expert Derby Handicapper



I spent a few minutes this evening looking at Derby horses. I also opened my file folder titled "2009derbyhandicapping."
It was a neat little spreadsheet I devised to handicap the race; I wrote a comment or two about each horse, and used multiple columns to forecast positions at each quarter to help determine a race scenario.
It was brilliant. Especially my comment about the eventual winner, Mine That Bird:
"No freaking way. Not even in any other race on Derby Day."


Still, I used the same method in 2008 and picked Big Brown, so I guess I'll try to make it 2 out of 3 this year.

(And yes, it did actually say 'freaking.' Though a different word may have crossed my mind after the race.)

Also, the 2010 Derby winner is shown in one of the five photographs at the top. Probably. I just don't know which one it is.

No comments: