Monday, January 18, 2010

SOMETHING I LEARNED TODAY, II


(the amount of time elapsed between "Something I Learned Today" posts should not be taken to mean I have learned nothing else during that span. Although that may be true.)

Today I learned, via NPR, that Abraham Flexner was an educator who did a great deal to reform higher education in this country. He was especially influential in reforming medical education. This is the 100th anniversary of his "Flexner Report"- hence the NPR story.

He was a Louisvillian, which explains the street named after him. I'd always assumed Abraham Flexner Way was named after a big donor to U of L.

So how come there's no enormous sign on a building with "Abe's Louisville" on it?

According to Wikipedia he is buried at Cave Hill Cemetery.
_________________________________________
I also finished "A Brief History of Time" today. I'm not sure how much of it penetrated my skull, so I'm not sure any of it qualifies as something I learned today. String theory? I can hardly even keep my shoes tied.

1 comment:

Brian said...

How about that past and future light cone stuff, huh? Pretty sexy!