Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I wonder periodically about the nicknames of women's sports teams. It's one of those things I try not to think about because when I do it bugs me more than it should.

The common practice is simply to stick "Lady" in front of the name. Thus we have Lady Wildcats, Lady Cardinals, etc.

What about the inherently male names? Bellarmine always bothers me. Lady Knights makes no sense. Shouldn't it just be Ladies? Or Dames?
South Carolina Lady Gamecocks? Or are they the Hens?
Shouldn't South Florida's Lady Bulls be the Cows? But that doesn't seem very nice.

I'll leave Alabama and Oregon State alone. The first is gross, the second is too Beavis and Butthead-worthy.

1 comment:

Brian said...

How about New Mexico Lobos. I have heard them called Los Lobos...so would the women be Las Lobos?

What if Spalding had a campus in Ethiopia and had a coed team. Would they be called the Hungry Pelicans?