Wednesday, September 2, 2009

League Champions? Bah!

An operator (me) error deleted my last softball post. I wish I hadn't screwed that up, because it's awfully relevant now.Four games into the fall, we are 1 and 3. It's a tough league, but we are playing so poorly that babies should flip us the bird.

I've never been the type to yell at someone. But I was tempted to do my best Bobby Knight tonight. We lost 22-5 and didn't show an ounce of life.

I sat out. And I suffered. It took a fair amount of effort not to scream at my teammates. There were very few signs of life from our side.

The other team was pretty good. We were listless and stupid. I thought this would be an opportune time to relax, check out new players, and give some other guys a chance to play. But I'm not sitting again this fall. I can't make up a 17-run deficit, but there are obviously not 10 guys on this team who want to play more than me. So they aren't going to.

The game ended two and a half hours ago and I've gotten madder and madder. There is no excuse for a piece of &#@* performance like that. I have less physical talent than almost every player we had on the field tonight, but 10 of me would have won the game. That's incredibly frustrating.

1 comment:

Bad Bob said...

When players show thay don't want to play, and play hard, let them sit. Play the people who want to play. Even if you lose, you know you gave the effort. Getting beat is a lot different than beating yourself.