Sunday, August 23, 2009

This afternoon I went to the zoo for my walk. I planned to do more walking than viewing, so I didn't take my camera. I figured I'd only stop for a look at a couple of my favorite animals, but mostly just keep moving for a nice, hilly walk.

Then I ended up doing more viewing than walking. The animals are always so active on cool days. Of course, the zoo was extremely crowded, so I guess the animals might have been saying "the humans are always so active on cool days."
Anyway, here are the pictures I couldn't take. I hope you enjoy them. Overheard: Is that camel dead, Mommy?Caption: Don't jump, Mr. Orangutan! You have a lot to live for!
Wow, little Scotty should be renamed Big Willie. Put that thing away, son!



Hey, the human exhibit. Oh, wait, he's just a zoo staffer feeding the porcupine.

I wished I had my camera in the dayroom. The siamangs were really having a good time wrestling and swinging around. There was a handler in there with them, and I have to believe there couldn't possibly be a much better way to spend a work day than playing with the siamangs. It looked like a lot of fun.

One last thing:
I was next to the snow leopard cage when two little girls ran up. They looked at the leopard for a minute, then went to the sign. The older girl read the sign out loud for the younger's benefit (I'd guess they were 8 and 5 years old).
Then the parents showed up and stopped in front of the cat. They looked at it for a few seconds then the dad said, 'Come here, girls, look at this big tiger!'
The girls ignored him at first as they finished reading and the older girl answered a question (correctly) about the snow leopard's habitat.
The dad said again 'C'mon! Don't you want to see the tiger?"
"It's not a tiger, Dad," said the 5-year-old,
"Yeah it is. Right here on the rocks! Come here and see it."
"We've already seen it, Dad. And it's not a tiger. It's a snow leopard." She said this in a tone of voice that implied one word left off the end: "Duh."

2 comments:

Mark said...

We were at the zoo yesterday afternoon, too!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Your photos look like the ones we got at the fair. But I didn't think to post them.