Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ho Hum, Another Night, Another Tournament Title

Some days I'm more thankful than others that this blog only has a dozen or so followers.

All day today I was somewhat sorry I posted that Pitino joke. I admit I still find it humorous, but I just now deleted it. My poor taste should not be subjected upon others. Not very often, anyway.

Anyway, I arrived at St. Martha tonight at 6:30, ready for a long, difficult evening. I was tired. Very tired. I lacked enough sleep, I was incredibly tight and sore from the long night last night, and I expected we'd be playing the same bunch of jerks we beat last Wednesday- and unfortunately they are a terrific softball team, so I figured we had our work cut out for us.

They lost the loser's bracket final, though, and we won the title with a 15-9 victory. Much easier than last night, but every bit as satisfying. We finished fifth in the Wednesday league, but won the tournament with victories over #4, #1, #2, and #3. I was thrilled. This was a great league with especially strong teams at the top.

We celebrated, but it was subdued. Everybody was worn out from last night. And we all seem to be hoping for rain Thursday night for our first fall game. Still, I'm generally looking forward to the fall.

We always pick up a new player or two for the fall league, and this year it looks like we've got a 3rd baseman and a shortstop. I'll move myself so we can check them out, which means I'll get a nice change of scenery for a while, and probably play a few games at 1st and a few at 2nd.

I'm looking forward to it. I always enjoy playing first base. I like scooping a few throws out of the dirt- then I say "hey, why was our scorer giving me throwing errors on this kind of play all year? They're easy!"

For those of you keeping score at home: I played in three leagues, won 3 league tournaments and two regular season titles. 5 out of 6 isn't bad. Not that I'm gloating or anything...

3 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Congratulations! I'm sure a great part of that is due to your management skills.I groomed you well grasshopper.

Brian said...

You forgotten to mention your congratulatory phone call from the President...I mean your brother Brian.

Ron said...

Thanks for the nightly phone updates as well as the commentary here.