Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Just to Mix It Up A Little...

I'll go with Other, and the softball.

I'm still working my way through the Barney Miller episodes on Hulu. Two nights ago I watched the werewolf episode. It was every bit as funny as I remembered.

The next episode (next on Hulu, anyway. I think there might be a missing episode in between), called "Smog Alert," was one I didn't remember, and I think it was even funnier. The first little segment before the theme song was hysterically funny. Abe Vigoda was terrific before he died.

Huh? Not yet? Oh, okay.

That was such a good show. I wish they had all the episodes, but I guess the last 4 seasons were probably not nearly as good as the first 4 anyway.


We won. I already forgot the score. I want to say 11-3. We started slowly but then hit pretty good.

Mom and Dad still have a perfect record for the season. I have to make sure they come out at tournament time.

It was my first unpleasant pregame as a board member. Most of May we only had 11 or 12 players so filling out the lineup was easy and everybody played plenty. Tonight was the first night we had to sit players that I thought were due more playing time. I'm not going to like this new job much.

On the bright side, next Tuesday we are likely to be very short-handed on outfielders. I'll enjoy the challenge of creatively filling holes a lot more than I like squeezing 15 players into 11 spots.
_________________________________
11:15 pm update: I almost neglected to note that "Casey At The Bat" was first published 121 years ago Wednesday. I came across that little fact about three weeks ago and was saving it for now, but I was pretty sure I'd forget on the actual anniversary. But I didn't. Good for me.
Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville— mighty Casey has struck out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, I like the poem. Isn't that just one verse? Good for Mom and Dad.
QMM

Kevin said...

Yes, that is just the final verse. Interestingly, when Thayer wrote it he did so anonymously because he did not think much of it. Now it and Poe's "The Raven" are probably the two most famous American poems.