Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Culinary Post

Culinary comment number one: Once in a while as I'm preparing a meal I'll see it on the stove or plate and think, 'wow, that looks good enough to be in a cook book.' So this time I took a picture.
I guess I am sometimes bored on Sunday afternoons.

And it tasted great, especially over the basmati rice (not pictured).

Culinary comment number 2:Yesterday evening's trip to Kroger was timed poorly. Never go grocery shopping when you are craving junk. The cart gets filled with salt and sweets that are best avoided. Still, it led to an interesting discovery.

The Tostitos brand queso is, in my opinion, sub par. I buy it from time to time, but only because of good product placement and my distinctly American weakness for cheese and corn chips.

Last night I bought both the queso and the Tostitos creamy spinach dip. The spinach dip is mediocre, at best. But the queso and spinach dip mixed together is fantastic. It has now passed the test two nights in a row, so I'll recommend it.
______________________________
Softball Doubleheader
Game 1: We won 18-3.
Game 2: We lost 19-18. Our first loss, and my first league loss apart from our inexplicable Wednesday night losing streak.
It was an interesting game capped by a very interesting finish. We had runners on first and second, one out, down a run in the bottom of the seventh when our batter was ejected for arguing a strike call on a pitch that hit the plate. The third base coach replaced him. He was stuck in a lousy spot- not loose, and stepping in with a 2-2 count and the game on the line- and he grounded into a double-play. Darn.
I don't usually blame an umpire for a loss, but this time I will. He made a lousy call and he compounded it by tossing a player who had a reasonable complaint and did not go overboard with his remonstrations. Our guy had his say and was done complaining but the umpire egged him on, which is inexcusable to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A handsome devil and he can cook too. Looks delicious, and healthy.
QMM

Bad Bob said...

Some umpires get testy when they know they've made a mistake.