Monday, May 4, 2009

Has anyone besides me ever seen Let It Ride, with Richard Dreyfuss?
He's a horse player on a serious losing streak until he finds a sure-fire way to pick winners: he asks every tout at the track who they like. The last horse left, the one nobody has named, is the one he bets on.

I was thinking about that just now as I reread all the expert predictions in Saturday's newspaper, and on the racing sites. Mine That Bird is the ONLY horse I could find that nobody picked. I even found one prediction each for Nowhere To Hide and Atomic Rain.

Last night I recalled that for about 10 minutes Saturday afternoon I had decided upon what would have been a winning exacta: Box Pioneerof The Nile and All. Driving home from work I thought that's what I would probably do, but I changed my mind by the time I got my computer turned on. Darn. I wish I'd stuck with it. Barring that, I wish I never thought it or forgot I ever thought it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, just wanted to tell you some- thing. I actually visited "Bob"'s house in Jamaica. In fact I think I have a picture of it. You know what, is actually grown on everyone's front porch.