Sunday, March 29, 2009

John Calipari

John Calipari seems to be the flavor of the moment among Kentucky fans. If the Wildcats land him he will probably be very successful.

The idea of him coaching UK is starting to give me queasy feelings, though. In case anyone has forgotten, Kentucky doesn't exactly have a clean record with the NCAA. Adding Calipari to the mix would make me very nervous.

Do we really want a guy whose UMass team had to vacate its Final Four appearance due to serious infractions? Who has had allegations swirling around his Memphis State program from the start?

Apparently, we do. Loss of long-term memory is a wonderful thing.

I, though, have not forgotten that I said I was done with UK sports if they get in serious trouble again. I guess maybe I'll have more time for reading.
____________
Bracket update. I was doing very well in my work jackpot, but I think Pittsburgh's loss probably ruined my chances. I had them in the championship game. Picking Pittsburgh and then regretting it is becoming my annual bracket theme.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I had 7 of the Final 8. Pittsburgh hurt me, too. Oklahoma really screwed me...they were my champs.

Remember, Camby is the one that took the money from an agent. It worries me Calipari didn't have better control, but it wasn't a direct result of his actions. Hopefully if he is hired, the admin will tell him they will be watching his every move...maybe even create a task force to monitor every move. I am not familiar with Memphis and any current "scandals" besides most of the players getting eligible after the 1st semester and then neve stepping foot on campus the rest of the year. If UK buries the basketball program, they can always funnel the money to football.