Wednesday, February 25, 2009

and another thing...

I'm still incredibly frustrated with the 'no zone' coaching.

The NBA actually banned zones from year one because they wanted high scoring, and zones kept players from driving so easily.

So Billy Clyde, if in every one of your losses your opponent has gotten into the lane easily and scored on layups or dished out for wide open threes, why not adjust and play a danged zone!
***********************Post-game add-on*****************
sheesh.
I really am not going to pass any permanent judgements on the coach. Yet. As I said a few days ago, I won't be at all surprised if he ends up staying a long time and being very successful. I do believe he'll get stocked up on five-star talent and win tons of games.
But a rigid game-plan, the all man-to-man defense, weird substitution patterns, a penchant for a 'lead' guard rather than a point, all suggest to me that his teams will always be vulnerable to some very crappy games.
With a talent level like now, that means some losses to bad teams and blow-outs from good teams. With better talent in the future, that will mean some surprising (to national media) losses to 12-14 seeds in the tournament.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I have never seen a Kentucky team get as physically dominated as they did tonight. That was so bad, I'm going to need some Immodium- AD just to get ME going again.