Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Basketball Upsets and Vocabulary

I just read ESPN.com's recap of the Harvard win over Boston College. So in a span of 3 days BC knocked off #1 North Carolina and then lost to ...hold on...according to realtimerpi.com, #182 Harvard. I think that might be enough to break the RPI calculating software.

But the real reason I wanted to post something about this game was the quote from Boston College coach Al Skinner. Apparently, he knew his team might come out flat against the Crimson after such a big win Sunday. "I tried to pre-warn them," Skinner said.

The redundancy of the comment doesn't really irritate me in this case. He's a basketball coach, not a scholar. It's not like he has a script, either; it's just a post-game press conference.

So 'pre-warn,' in this instance at least, doesn't bug me as much as 'very unique.'
It doesn't 'literally blow my mind,' (not a redundancy, I know. But I hate it) and it's not as bad as the Advance Warning Super Doppler because it wasn't premeditated in advance. It's not the exact same thing. (A two-fer in two sentences!)

Some others redundancies:
free gift
ATM machine
PIN number
White Republican
And this is the very last one

2 comments:

Mark said...

Here's one I keep seeing in letters at work:

"The following concerns were noted during the duration of the inspection."

Brian said...

at least it doesn't say:

"The following concerns were noted during the duration of the inspection while inspecting."