Friday, January 2, 2009

2nd half Liberty Bowl post

In-game thoughts as I watched on ESPN360


*NFL prospects: Lindley should enter the draft. He's smallish and injury-prone, but very good. He shouldn't risk a senior season. Micah Johnson should come back his senior year, be a beast, and go high in the draft next year. Jarmon should return-he doesn't seem quite ready.

*Alfonso Smith must be the worst blocking back in UK history. I've never noticed it myself, but I don't know what else could explain why he doesn't play more.

*How come Kentucky tackles well on every down except 3rd and long?

*Has Kentucky ever had a 50/50 call go their way after a video review?

*I've lost count, but I think we've had 10 kicks blocked in the last 16 games. That's unbelievably bad.

*Huge win, though. Huge, huge, huge. Three straight winning seasons is great for Kentucky, and since the media doesn't seem to pay attention to the fact that there are more games played each year than there used to be, and haven't adjusted accordingly, a 7-win season is still viewed as good.
Plus, winning 7 games with this offense is phenomenal. I don't know how much blame the coaches should get for having an offense like this, but to win with this offense seems like a minor miracle.

*The country's longest current non-conference winning streaks:
1) LSU- 19
2) UK- 14

*Whew, this is a long post. But this is the last one. At work today I was having fun listening to 3 UofL fans complain about how bad the basketball team was playing. I told them it was all Kragthorpe's fault. They said "you mean Pitino?" I said, "No, Kragthorpe. He's also the cause of the stock market crash and the collapse of the automakers. I think he has something to do with global warming, too."

1 comment:

Bad Bob said...

I think Kentucky offense has been very unimaginable and stagnant. If this is Joker Phillips Offense and He is the next Head Coach Elect, I'm not very optimistic about our future.