Monday, September 15, 2008

Y(Ike)s!


My drive to work this morning was completely in the dark-no street lights the entire way- so I didn't get a good look around. After work, though, I got off 264 at Poplar Level to go to the barbershop (they were closed) and circled over to Mom and Dad's and then through Cherokee Park back to home.
Two things impressed me.
The first was obviously the severity of the damage. I already had a good idea of it because of my two short trips through my own neighborhood yesterday, but the quantity of trees and branches strewn across streets, yards, and houses was amazing.
Also impressive is the speed with which everyone seems to be cleaning up. There are still plenty of unpassable streets, and quite a few downed trees that haven't been touched yet, but that's due to the sheer volume of the mess. This is one week when I'm definitely glad I'm not a homeowner.
I'm thinking maybe I should do some quick Ryder Cup-related advertising. All those people renting homes for $1000+ per night might be willing to pay me even more, since I have electricity.

No comments: