Thursday, September 4, 2008

Songs

I wrote a paragraph or two about the song "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me," before deciding that particular part of the post was no good. But next time you hear it, pay close attention to the lyrics. It sure expresses a bottom-of-the-barrel, zero-self-esteem view.

After hearing the song today, I also heard Elvis sing "Kentucky Rain." I was more attuned to the actual lyrics than usual, and I really found this to be a disturbing song.

I'd heard it dozens of times, maybe hundreds, and it never struck me before: "Kentucky Rain" could easily be the theme song to that Julia Roberts' movie "Sleeping With The Enemy." The whole song is apparently about some guy who's wife left him in a hurry, and how he's chasing her all over creation to get her back. Sounds like a battered wife to me.

It's a shame. I always thought it was a sweet little song until I paid attention.

No comments: