Thursday, September 4, 2008

Softball

I've neglected softball posts for a while. Sorry. I know my thousands (millions?) of loyal readers must be frustrated.

Cutting off my softball reports must have aggravated the heck out of you, like listening to John Rooney call a Redbirds game in the 1980's. You know..."Here's a long fly to deep right field, if it stays fair it's a home run- this game is brought to you by Armour Hot Dogs, the dogs kids love to bit. We thought we'd have some rain tonight, but so far it's been beautiful, and it hasn't kept the fans away, we have a really nice crowd out here. You know, the Iowa first baseman, Miguel Cruz is from Guatemala, as is our shortstop, but I don't know if they know each other... that ball was foul, by the way...."

So here is what you missed since my last softball post. I think.

Last Thursday we won 22-21. And why would I have posted about that last week? It's obviously a boring game. We simply trailed 8-0, then led 16-9, then trailed 21-17, then won with 5 runs in the bottom of the 7th. Boring, really.

We were off Tuesday- the schedule is odd because we're working around some other teams' problems- and played a doubleheader tonight.

1st game, we won 12-10. Very big win against the team that beat us 20-5 a couple of weeks ago. It was especially big because of a very unfunny practical joke they pulled on us last week. We owed those cocky s-o-b's, and we came through with a win.

2nd game we won 16 -12. Nothing exciting happened. One of my teammates, a hot dog (not Armour) who was run off a couple of years ago because he's a jerk but rejoined this year, acted like a total idiot, got people mad at him, and led me into a shouting match with three teammates. But again, boring stuff. Not worth mentioning, really.

Writing on a blog leads to some tough self-editorial work. At 11:20 or so I wrote a final paragraph that was angry and contained a few bad words. Here I am an hour later, realizing that I have family and friends who's good opinions I esteem, and who I would not wish to think poorly of me for losing my temper over a softball game, and I've deleted the last paragraph and rewritten this whole thing instead. And I'd really rather be sleeping. . Huh. Go figure. Suffice it to say I was quite irate.

No comments: