Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ryder Cup

My professional Ryder Cup review:

The crab cakes were quite tasty.
The shrimp salad was okay.
The ham sandwiches and turkey sandwiches were solid.
The mushrooms were okay.
The cucumber and vidalia onion mix was fantastic.
The fried chicken was mediocre.
The potato salad was subpar.
The cheesecake was suprisingly good.
The canned Amstel Light was terrible.
The Budweiser was fine.
The margaritas were terrific.

Did I forget anything?

Oh yeah. Golf. It was neat, too I guess.

Okay, I was spoiled by our passes to the Barclays hospitality tent (thanks again, Jim! I always knew you were good for something) but we did go out and watch some golf. And it was great, actually. I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to see a Ryder Cup in person. But there's no point in reviewing the golf because if you watched it on t.v. you saw it better than I did, and if you didn't watch in on t.v. then you probably don't care.

Or you don't have electricity.

The only golf-related thing I'll mention is this, because it was really cool. Late this afternoon we returned to the tent for drinks and then watched a few groups from the hill overlooking the 17th tee and 16th green. So we watch Furyk tee off on 17 but couldn't really see any action on the green. But when he clinched a U.S. victory on that hole the crowd roar was absolutely deafening.

I've always thought crowd reactions on golf courses were neat because of how the cheers (or groans) spread by chain-reaction, but this particular roar was different-much louder and more sustained and without any pauses. Neato.

No comments: