Saturday, August 30, 2008

I am no golfer

I played half a round of golf today with Brian, Matt, and Uncle Mark.

Then I quit on them, because that's the kind of stand-up guy I am.

Seriously, I am just so bad at the game that it's no fun at all. I've scored poorly many, many times before this year, but in the past, no matter how poorly I played, I seldom stood over my next shot with any lack of confidence.

Even if I'd hit 10 bad tee shots in a row, I had no problem believing the next one would be good.

Not now, and pretty much not all this year.

In other words, the problem today wasn't that I played poorly. The problem was that I was playing about average. I didn't have any belief whatsoever that things were going to improve.

I've practiced quite a lot this year, and until recently I believed I could turn it around very quickly. But now I've decided I either need to quit or I need help. (Help me, Jeebus!)

Since quiting golf would be the better option, freeing up time and money for more worthy pursuits, I have of course decided to go the other route. Once the Bats' season ends I will be pestering my wunderkind little brother for coaching and advice.

Until that time, I at least have college football to comfort me- it's so much fun to watch, I'm even enjoying watching Florida destroy Hawaii.

6 comments:

Mark said...

Well, I have a couple of suggestions. One thing you could do is play golf with me. Then you'd feel mighty superior. Also, I really don't know the difference between a lousy shot and a good one, so I'd be complimenting you every time.

My second suggestion is that you find another hobby, like metal detecting. If it's "cute" for Brian and I to go metal detecing together (Kim has said that), then detecting with a third brother would be 50% cuter. Also, you would not believe how many totally hot babes come up to me and are like, "Wow, is that a real metal detector? Can you show me how to use it? Can I share the headphones with you? Will this thing work if we're both naked? Want a beer?"

Mark said...

Or you could roll up a D&D character.

Mark said...

Or I could take you to a coin club meeting. Coin club, golf club, the only difference is that you can't get sunburn at the coin club.

Mark said...

You could also take up drawing. I have lots of drawing pencils and other supplies you can use. This would surely be just as frustrating a golf, but would cost you a lot less.

Mark said...

Or maybe you coul just get more involved at church.

Mark said...

I meant to say, "Brian and ME" not "Brian and I."