Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yogi's win! Yogi's win! Yogi's win!

Not exactly the shot heard 'round the world, and we've got a great record this season so a win isn't exactly big news, but boy, what a win it was!

I wouldn't normally be posting anything at nearly one in the morning, but I was still fairly wound up when I got home- extremely late- and have a few minutes before I'll be ready to sleep, I'm sure.

With a 9:00 game tonight, I intended to stick around for a quick beer and be home at as near-to-decent an hour as I could.

So of course we started at 9:15 or so. No surprise. The last game never starts on time. But then the real fun began.

It was a close game all the way, but we took the field on defense in the bottom of the seventh with a 10-7 lead. Good hitting by our opponents and two absolutely horrible calls by the umpires took the game to an eighth inning, tied 10-10.

We didn't score in the top half, and I wasn't too confident in the bottom half. But they didn't score, either.

We scored 4 in the 9th. So did our opponents, so it was 14-14.

Nobody scored in the 10th. I was especially disappointed with our zero then because I'd had several hits tonight but grounded out this inning.

Finally, we got some huge hits and 4 big runs in the eleventh, and coasted home to an easy 18-17 victory by giving up three runs and getting two outs with the bases loaded. No sweat.

The game ended around 11:15 and my plan for an early exit was pretty much shot to hell.

It was loads of fun. The worst thing about it was that I've been trying really hard to get regular exercise so tonight I decided I should ride my stationary bike for a while before the late game. Great idea, usually, because softball isn't normally much exercise. But this game wore me out. I was fairly busy at 3rd base and spent a lot more time running the bases than I would usually expect, plus the game itself was just so darn intense that I think I'd have been tired even if I was just watching from the bench.

Good night.

No comments: