Friday, June 27, 2008

St. Martha's softball tournament

First, THANKS, BRIAN! "I love tomato source" is my all-time favorite comment on my blog. It's so obvious and so funny, and yet it never occurred to me. I'm kicking myself for not thinking of something similar.

It's amazing how often the perfect joke for whatever I posted pops into my head 2 hours after I've logged out. But that one never crossed my mind.

On to softball. We won tonight, 16-3, in the first game of the tournament. We play at 11:45 tomorrow morning and hopefully will play sporadically throughout the day.

I have no idea what we'll do tomorrow. We could lose two in a row and be home early, or we could win the whole thing. Our team is that unpredictable.

But tonight's game was one of my favorites. Ever. It was very, very enjoyable. Our team was mostly Yogi's (Yogis', Yogis. Damn. How do you pluralize when you just use the possesive portion of Yogi's Athletic Club? My grammar books don't seem to have an answer-probably because it's improper to even try. Or perhaps I'm overlooking it.), but we had no proven shortstop since Jimmy is on vacation, the star shortstop we thought we'd have bailed out at the last minute, our first baseman hadn't played in over a year, and we were slightly out of position in a couple of other spots. And I never know how we'll hit.

But we had a blast. It was 2-2 through 4 innings. We'd squandered several scoring opportunities but played spectacular defense. It really was great. We have a lot of capable fielders and can be counted on for 1 or 2 'wow' plays per game, but we made about 6 of them tonight. Then we blew it open with a 10-run 5th inning, and continued to play great defense. I was thrilled.

We could come out tomorrow and stink. We could also play well and lose, because this is a good tournament.. But I'm hopeful. We've already defeated one team that I thought was better than us, so you never know.

No comments: