Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Office vocabulary

Warning: This might become a recurring topic.

I love language.

Well-crafted words are beautiful. If I could express myself cleverly and clearly with any degree of consistency, I would consider myself to be a...uh...a good with word thingies kind of guy.

So sometimes I fail miserably. I still enjoy trying.

I guess my own shortcomings should prevent me from being overly critical of others'.

It really should.

Anyway, you know what really irritates me? What really irritates me are some of the standard words and phrases used non-stop around offices.

Examples:

expedite---"Could you please expedite this?" Dammit, just tell me to hurry up.

workplace---Yes, it's the place you work. But workplace is just stupid.

monies--- Please just call it money. One dollar is money. Five dollars is also money. No need to get fancy when making it plural.

4 comments:

Brian said...

I also never knew Shaft was a golfer. Foooore...shut yo mouth!

Brian said...

Rachel Ray on the Food Network constantly says, "...and now we use a little EVOO, Extra Virgin Olive Oil..." If you use the abbreviation, don't say the word, too. So please, take a little TLC, tender loving care, and stop doing this, ASAP, as soon as possible!

Mark said...

People I work with really dig the word "utilize." 90% of the time, when I work on correspondence, I change it to "use."

Also, "certificated" is a commonly used word within the FAA. I never, ever hear it anywhere else, and I don't think it was in the dictionaries that I've checked. However, everyone at work uses it and everyone knows what it means--if you don't, you just aren't part of the club.

Mark said...

Well, dictionary.com has "certificated" in spades. Oh well.