Saturday, June 30, 2012

Friday, 12:23 AM.  I'm home watching Big Bang Theory, and head off to bed in 7 minutes, so this will be quick.

I arrived home around 5 today to 100+ degree apartment.   That's the 4th time in 3 years my air conditioning has gone out.  It has to either the a.c, or the apartment location (top floor, lots of sun exposure and lots of windows), because I'm sure it's not me. I set the thermostat on 74 or 75 in the summer, which I think is conservative- lots warmer than I'd like it.  I'd be very happy with 65 degrees, but I try to keep it mild, both for cost and because I've learned my air conditioner has to work very hard.

With a Friday afternoon a.c. disaster I know I can't get it fixed until at least Monday.  Two more 100 degree days coming up, and 4th of July week I'm not at all sure my landlord will get it fixed in a timely manner. 

I called my favorite hotel, Casa de Tabler in the lovely Tyler Park neighborhood, and arranged lodging.   Then I left to play softball, planning to come home, shower, and head to Mom and Dad's for the night.  But when I got home a few minutes before 11:00 the temperature was down to 83 and my bedroom was even cooler- not a lot, but a few degrees. 
The air conditioner definitely needs professional attention again, and it will definitely climb up to 100 degrees in here tomorrow, but tonight it seems fine as long as I have a fan blowing.

I didn't call  to cancel my reservation.  I hope I don't lose my deposit, but I figured nobody would be working the desk after 11:00.  Or if I called that late I might make an employee cranky, especially since the guy who took my reservation was playing golf early Saturday in Lexington.

Nothing else to report, except softball doings.  We won tonight, but that doesn't mean much to me because it's not my team. I was just subbing.
We lost 19-17 Wednesday to a team that crushed us by lots and lots of runs about 3 weeks ago. Nice to see improvement, but we were down 19-17 with bases loaded, 0 outs in the bottom of the 7th and should have won or gone to extra innings.  Instead we got a fly out/double play on a failed tag up to home, then another out.   I'd like to be mad at the guy who got thrown out but he got nailed by an absolut cannon of a throw to the plate which surprised me as much as I'm sure as it surprised him.

It was a rough night for me. Not a particularly bad night, but a rough one.  I got four new bruises from ground balls off various body parts.  It was the late game and I have a rough time fielding the ball cleanly under the lights.  I was busy- lots of balls hit my way- and I did a decent job getting outs, but too many of them bounced off me first.

Anyway, that's it.  I've run over into a 'Friends' episode, and it's just not funny.  Bed time.



1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

We're holding your reservation.