Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Acting on Brian's tip about Blockbuster's going-out-of-business sale, I bought "Anchorman" and seasons 1 and 3 of "30 Rock." Great haul. I'd have bought season 2 as well if it was in stock. Love that show, and I feel quite sure I'll watch "Anchorman" repeatedly.


Another stop on my Sunday shopping spree netted me the newest Jasper Fforde book, "One of Our Thursdays is Missing." I've been looking forward to it for ages and ages, knew late last year it was finally due out early this year, and yet missed the release date. I was surprised and delighted to see it on the shelf.
It's the sixth in his "Thursday Next" series. The first five were wonderfully entertaining.
I was going to start reading it last night but decided I'll finish my Huck Finn re-read first. But I did read through the first few pages and it was enough to remind me of everything I like about Fforde's novels: fun plots, zany characters, snide jokes, corny jokes, great literary references, and combinations such as fun snide corny literary jokes.
I'm only 5 pages in and already there's a marvelous gag about how hard it is to remember character names in "Crime and Punishment." What more could I ask for?

1 comment:

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I didn't Blockbuster was going out of business. What next? Macy's? Dillards? Quilt shops? What's happening to this crazy mixed up world?