Wednesday, March 9, 2011

After work this evening I detoured through the park hoping to view some interesting flooding. I more than half-expected I would need to turn around without getting very far- most likely no farther than near the 8th tee of Seneca GC.
But though the waters were high and rapid, Beargrass Creek was still within its banks as of 5:00, to the dismay (I assume) of the Wave 3 reporter stationed in the Big Rock parking lot.

I finished reading Philip Roth's The Plot Against America. Quite a good book. It's the first Philip Roth work I've read, and as he's quite prolific I am excited to have a new source of reading material.
It is an alternate history narrative, told from the point of view of a nine year old Jewish boy in Newark, New Jersey. The premise is Charles Lindbergh defeats FDR in the 1940 election and then makes a pact with Nazi Germany that keeps the U.S. out of WWII. Lots of not very fun hijinks ensue.
Throughout my reading I turned constantly to the internet to read up on real national figures woven into the story. There were lots of them, so I'm now better informed about Charles and Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Burton Wheeler, Father Coughlin, Fiorello LaGaurdia, and a few more.
Since many of the principal antagonists were real historical figures, and since most of these people weren't so clearly or completely evil in real life, I was at times uncomfortable with the story. At other times, though, I was uncomfortable with how easily it could all have been true.
Also, Louisville and Kentucky featured prominently and not very glowingly, which I didn't like. However, I think this was more for plot convenience than anything else. The boy's father praised Louis Brandeis and his Louisville roots early in the story, and thus Louisville was effective as a principal scene for negative stuff later. Plus Louisville is just a good representative for middle America.

This is my first post using my new little notebook computer. I'm not adept with the smaller keyboard yet. How does everybody manage with the tiny little keys on their smart phones? I can't even handle this relatively larger keyboard. If I don't improve I suspect I'll go back to using my man-sized computer for future posts.
Life in Lilliput sure is hard.

3 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Enjoyed the post review of the book. As far as small keyboards, I would think if this keeps up there will be a change in human thumbs. I don't know if they'll start getting larger and more muscular, or just longer and skinnier. I think the next couple of generations will just have arthritic thumbs.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

Interesting post, Kevin. I'm trying to decide it that's a book I'd like to borrow.

Mark said...

Sounds good; maybe I’ll read it, too.

Regarding typing on smart phones: when I clip my thumb nails, texting becomes ridiculously difficult, like trying to pick up a sewing needle with gloves on. Or more accurately, typing at a regular keyboard using only my palms.