Saturday, February 19, 2011

I've been trying to avoid political topics. I have generally been unsuccessful.
I think I've mentioned unions before, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, I'm extremely pro-union. Boiled down to a nutshell, my basic belief is that the long struggle of organized labor is responsible for ending all sorts of very bad things- slave wages, dreadfully unsafe conditions, unbearably long hours, etc. etc. And the long, slow end of organized labor has pretty much correlated to a long, slow decline back into all of the above conditions.
People I speak with mostly seem to think I'm ridiculous for believing the end of unions will mean sinking back into the same conditions once described so colorfully by Upton Sinclair. I say "Of course it will lead to that. It already is leading to that. Duh!" Sure, conditions aren't nearly so dreadful at the moment. But the peak has already been reached and workers are definitely heading back down the hill.
And it's amazing how fast the fall may come once a little speed is built up.
Why wouldn't it lead to that? Because government regulation will prevent it? Without unions, who is going to make sure government regulations are enforced? Or make sure these regulations even stay on the books?

I've just been thinking about that a lot the last few days because of the stuff in Wisconsin. I'm especially galled by the argument that union workers have nothing to complain about because "they make more than me, they pay a lower percentage of their health care than me, they have it better than me..."
Well duh! again. Why is that an argument against unions? It sounds to me to be more of argument to get your ass into a union.

2 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Thanks Kev. I fought the Union battle at Toyota for years against people thinking that they make good money without a union therefore unions are bad. Duh! The reasons you make the money you do and have the benefits you have is because your union brothers and sisters have fought for it and are out there fighting for it now. Not because, as many of my fellow workers believed, the Company loves you and will always make sure they treat you fairly and give you plenty of money. Please, Don't get me started.....

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I agree. The people of Wisconsin have said they're willing to sit down and negotiate if their collective bargaining rights are left on the table. The governor has said no way. And I'd love to see the Congress take a pay cut, or at the very least not vote themselves a pay increase next time around.