Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Just-Under-The-Deadline Father's Day Post

Five things about my Dad, and rest assured I'm leaving out lots and lots and lots. I'm limiting it to five because it's past my bed time.

*My Dad could (and can) fix lots of things. And lots of it was stuff he wasn't at all sure he could fix until he did it.

*My Dad worked two jobs and yet was willing to coach my ball team on his 1 night off. I might not have appreciated that enough then, but be sure I appreciate it now.

*My Dad taught me to warm up my arm properly because I'd want to be able to throw a ball pain-free many years later. I sure wish I'd listened to that.

*My Dad was lots of fun to wrestle with when I was quite tiny. I might have been 1/4 his weight, but he was good at letting me believe I might win.

*My Dad (and I can't leave Mom out of this. It was a solid team effort) taught me right from wrong. I can't claim anything remotely close to perfection on this count, but when I err I inevitably find that it's because I strayed from what my parents taught me.

I'm very lucky. I have great parents.

4 comments:

Bad Bob said...

Thanks Kevin. I really do appreciate that. I've always felt lucky to have the 3 sons that I have. Each one very different from the other, each with their own interests. I'm very proud of each one for the fine young men they have grown up to be.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

What a sweet post, Kevin. I also think Dad did an amazing job as a dad, and you three guys couldn't have been, and couldn't possibly be, loved more.

Mark said...

I'll second you on that, Kevin!!!

Brian said...

we should paint "world's greatest dad" on top of the house when we paint so all the people on the airplanes can read it?

Our dad also never let's anyone mess with his family. Whether it's making kids rebuild a snowman, a burglar trying to break in the back door or an idiot on a golf course.